Thursday, December 7, 2017

The Saga of the One Cent Bill

We closed our account with Cox for TV because we wanted to switch to DirecTV.  Our Cox receiver and bill was taken to the Cox center on NW Expressway and our account was closed (or so we thought)!
Last week we received a bill from Cox for 1 cent !!  I didn't want to use a 50 cent stamp to pay the 1 cent so a couple of days ago we took the bill and 1 cent to the Cox center where we closed the account.  The fellow told me he could not take cash there, but I could use a check or credit card for the 1 cent !!  Are you kidding???  He informed me I could pay the bill at 7 Eleven.  So off Mel and I go to the 7 Eleven a couple of blocks away.
I find the payment machine and begin to log in.  I clicked under the section for tv.  No Cox.  I ask the clerk about this so she comes to the machine and clicks under the same heading.  Still no Cox!!  I ask about the section for utilities - and there was Cox.  Why under utilities I cannot understand nor could the clerk.  I proceed to enter our account number and things are going well until I reach the end part and it says, "You will be charged $1.50 for payment on this machine."  Really???
By this time I am irritated at the difficulty of just trying to pay our bill !!
We go home and I call Cox payment center.  The recording tells me I will be charged $10 for paying this way, then an associate came on the line.  I ask her if I would be charged for trying to pay our 1 cent bill.  She first said, "I could use check or credit card to pay.  I replied, "Really!  For just trying to pay our 1 cent bill!!"  She then said, "Oh, just a moment."  I waited, then, she came on the line and told me she had cleared the account.  I thanked her for her help!
I am not overly confident that this has been taken care of!  I suppose we will find out in a month!!
If we do receive another bill for 1 cent, I will put a penny in the envelope with the bill and use a 50 cent stamp to send it!
All of this hassle of trying to be honest and pay our bill!!



No comments:

Post a Comment