Saturday, November 20, 2010

Our Oven Experience

Here is my trusty oven that I use so much. Last Saturday I made an apple pie and cleaned my oven using the self-cleaning option. Sunday when I was ready to make cornbread, well, the oven would not heat! Monday I called the appliance repairman (the only one in a small town) and he could not check it for another week and then would have to order the part and wait a few days for that. If I was lucky, I might have the oven fixed Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
While visiting with Jerry on the phone I mentioned my oven. Wednesday, he came by and checked it. The oven shut-off thermal fuse was not working. After calling Greer Appliance Parts in OKC, Mel and I drove to the city and picked up the part, $59.96. Come to find out this part goes out in RCA Whirlpool ovens quite often. I now have a lifetime guarantee on the part. All we have to do, yes all we have to do (not an easy task) is take the oven out, take the back off, remove 2 attached clips and then drive to OKC for the new part. It will be much simplier for me just to clean it myself.
Mel and I came home and replaced the part which was very easy to do, just attach a clip to each end. Replacing the back - after some thinking, discussing and trial and error we did figure out which part of the back went first, etc. Next time we will watch and may even take pictures of how it comes apart. Always, "Live and Learn"!! Mel and I were proud of ourselves for accomplishing another task that we had never done before (and hope not to do again).



The small part that causes the oven not to heat and my lifetime guarantee

Mel and I decided we would invest in a toaster oven to use for small tasks while cooking for just us (save the big oven). I decided on this one. I have now tried it out and it is wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment